Let’s be honest! Getting fit at any age can be a challenge. Each day you’re flooded with new fitness gadgets, diet pills and get fit quick commercials. We’ve all seen them, you know what I am talking about, the commercials that promise six-pack abs with only 3 minutes of exercise per day. If getting fit were that easy, more people would do it! Allow me to say, I understand the challenge of getting fit, however, planning for your fitness success will assist you in reaching your desired destination without giving into the get fit quick mentality. It’s important to understand, getting fit is a journey and not a one-time event. Therefore use the following 10 tips on your fitness journey.
10 tips to succeed with your your fitness and weight loss goals
- Make a list of challenges that are keeping you from setting and reaching your fitness/weight loss goals. Be honest with yourself and identify facts from excuses. From there, take one-step at a time to change these behaviors; be patient – change will not occur over night.
- Surround yourself with others who are dedicated to getting fit. Forming a strong support system is essential to your success and will provide you with support from others who may experience the same emotional and physical challenges that come with the fitness and weight loss journey.
- As you reach your goals, reward yourself with non-food items to celebrate your success. Possibly get a new dress, shoes or purse. Make it special to your likings.
- Share your accomplishments with individuals in your support system who love and believe in you. They won’t downplay your success and they will know how hard you have worked to get there.
- Continue to hold yourself accountable for making progress with your nutrition and physical activities. In order to do this, find an accountability partner to help you stay consistent and dedicated. If you find yourself discouraged, address the causes of your discouragement and move forward.
- Make yourself a priority and agree to do at least 30 minutes of moderate- intensity exercise per day at least 5 days a week. You can break this into two 15 minute sessions if you need to.
- If you’re not seeing results, step it up. The body adapts to what you’re doing and after a while the body needs to be challenged to a greater extent. You can increase your intensity by doing more sets, repetitions and using more weights with your resistance training program.
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! The body is made up of over 70 percent water, therefore, it is important to drink water, before, during and after your workouts. Place a water bottle by your bed and when you awake each morning, chug it down. It’s a great way to start your day.
- Get to bed early. Sleep controls hormones that contribute to weight gain. Shut off the TV and cell phone and get some shut eye!
- Find a great personal trainer to help you identify your body type and create fitness training plan just for you!
Using these 10 tips will assist you in staying focused on reaching your goals. While you’re getting fit grab a few of your BFFs to go along with you!
Laticia “Action” Jackson
Health and Fitness Expert/2008 Fitness Olympian
Favorite this post and add it to your Bookmarks!
[favorite_button post_id=”” site_id=””][/favorite_button]