To all of our sistas who joined our DietBet challenge, thank you! Hopefully this guide will help you with this weight loss goal! If you haven’t signed up, it’s not too late! Bet $25 to lose 4% of your body weight and if you lose the weight, you split the pot with the other winners! So basically, you get PAID to lose weight. A true win, win, don’t you think? The last day to join is January 24th and you can sign up at dietbet.com/mynaturalsistas.
This is just a general list, and if you want to add something else that’s healthy, then do so. Pick from any of these items listed below. Please click here if you’re Vegan.
Lean Proteins (3-4 oz)
- Skinless Chicken Breast
- Ground Chicken Breast
- Turkey Tenderloin
- Turkey Cutlets
- 93-99% Ground Turkey Meat
- Lean Bison
- Filet Mignon
- Egg Whites
- Fish- Salmon & Tuna
Complex Carbs (3-4 oz)
Here is a break down of the type of carbs, and when it is best to eat them.
- ¼-1/2 Cup Oatmeal (Steel Cut, Rolled, Irish, No Pre-packaging)
- 2-4 Tbsp Cream of Wheat
- 2-4 Tbsp Grits
- 2-4 Tbsp Cream of Rice
- 2 Slices Ezekiel Bread
- 1 Wheat English Muffin
- Wheaties Cold Cereal (No Sugar)
- Sweet Potato
- Red Potato
- Brown Rice
- Rice Cakes
Seasonings (Keep your sodium (salt) intake low)
- Mrs. Dash
- Sea Salt
- Montreal Steak Seasoning
- Fresh or Dried Herbs
- Sweeteners: Stevia & Truvia
- Onions & Peppers
Vegetables (3-4 oz)
- Green beans
- Sweet peas
- Brussels sprouts
- Mixed Green salad
- Onions & Peppers
Healthy Fats (1-2 Tbsp. or ¼ Cup)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Coconut Oil
- ¼ Cup Almonds (Unsalted)
- ¼ Cup Cashews (Unsalted)
- ¼ Cup Walnuts (Unsalted)
- Seeds (Sunflower, Pumpkin, Sesame)
- Peanut, Almond, Cashew Butters (Unsalted)
- 3 oz Strawberries
- 3 oz Blueberries
- 3 oz Blackberries
- 3 oz Raspberries
- 6 oz Tomatoes and Cucumbers
- 1 Scoop Protein Powder
- 2 Tbsp Almond Butter
- 4 oz Watermelon
Taking in too much salt is not good for your heart, cholesterol, and it makes you retain excess water. It makes you appear bloated (or as I like to say, fluffy) and hides all your hard work.
- Green Leafy Vegetables (Spinach, Kale, Romaine Lettuce, etc)
- Grains (Rice, Pasta, etc.)
- Chia Seed
- Flax Seeds
- Hemp Seeds
- Buckwheat Groats
- Fresh Fruit
VEGAN MEAL IDEAS:
- Green Smoothie:
-16 oz Spinach
-15- 20 Dates
-50 oz Water
-1 cup Oatmeal
-1¾ cups of water or 2 cups of Plant Based Milk ( Almond Milk, Cashew Milk, Rice Milk and etc)
-½ cup Raisins or Dried Fruit or Fresh Fruit (i.e. Bananas or Organic Berries (Blueberries, Raspberries, or Strawberries))
-Cinnamon (to taste)
-Maple Syrup (to taste)
-Sprinkle with Chia Seeds, Flaxseeds, Buckwheat groats, and/or hemp seeds
- Fresh fruit
- Dried Fruit
- Fresh fruit (only if you eat fruit meal for breakfast for better digestion, try not eat this as a snack after a cooked meal)
- Apple Sauce (Organic and Unsweetened)
- Cliff bar
- Quinoa with Sauteed Yellow Zucchini and Red Bell Peppers (oil-less)
- Golden Potatoes with Sauteed Spinach and Mushrooms (oil-less, use water)
- Baked or Steamed Sweet Potatoes (sweeten with maple syrup and cinnamon or with vegan marshmallows), Steamed Broccoli and Corn
- Slow Cooked Lentils with Carrots, Onions and Celery, Rice and Mixed Green Salad topped with tomatoes and lemon juice
- 16 Bean Soup with Carrots, Onions and Celery, Rice and Mixed Green Salad topped with tomatoes and lemon juice
- Chickpeas and quinoa with Sauteed Kale, Onions and Red, Orange and Yellow Bell Peppers
While on a vegan diet it is important to make sure you eat enough calories. It is easy to get that from a wide variety of plant-based whole food options. The awesome thing about the vegan diet is that you can eat in abundance to the point of satiation without having to worry about calorie restriction. The easiest way to get in calories is by eating a diet rich in carbs. Carbohydrates supply the human body with glucose (energy) to function and complete many different tasks. You will easily get the amount of protein your body needs when doing this. For best results make sure that you eat keep your fat intake around 10% of your total daily calories and low sodium (below 500mg/day). Listen to your body, eat only when you are hungry, but be cautious not to under eat or calorie restrict.
Your workouts should include a mixture of weight/resistance training and cardiovascular exercises. Weight/resistance training helps burn calories faster, build lean muscle and sexy curves, makes you stronger and promotes healthier bones. Don’t worry about bulking up from just lifting weights; women do not have enough testosterone for that to happen naturally. Weight train at least 2 times out of the week. Cardiovascular exercises are great to help build your endurance and help condition your body. You want to do cardio 4-5 days out of the week for drastic changes, but 3-4 is OK. Start your days off with some good conditioning cardio! Some options are: Biking, Running, Power Walking, Stair-master 4-5 Days a week, no less than 30 minutes. It’s best to do this early in the morning, but get it in whenever you can. Remember to wear neoprene shorts (and belt if you have one)! Cardio will help create leans muscle, condition your heart and build endurance! Lunges are essential for toned and firm legs, as well as glutes!
A great post cardio workout (do this directly after your cardio) – 3 Sets 25 reps each:
For this DietBet Challenge, you should pick one of the options below to do EVERY day.
- 50 crunches each day (if this is part of your workout for the day, you’re not required to double up)
- 60 second plank in the morning, 60 second side plank on each side at night. (Side planks are great for those love handles!)
Make sure to track your progress! Plan your meals and workouts and stay on track with the DietBet Challenge chart below. A good balance of weight training and cardiovascular exercise looks like this throughout the week.
Monday: Shoulder & Back Day
Wednesday: Leg Day
Friday: Arms & Chest Day
Saturday: Bootcamp or Kickbocking
HOW TO USE THE CHART:
- Place an “X” next to each day you do your daily exercise.
- Place an “X” next to each day you complete your selected workout for the day.
- Plan ahead by writing what you will be preparing for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
- Print additional charts for each week you follow this DietBet Challenge.
Download a printable version of the chart here.
That’s it, Sistas! Getting in shape takes dedication and hard work, but if you exercise and eat right, you will reach your weight loss goals. Did you join our DietBet challenge? Will you implement this guide into your weight loss plan? Let us know in the comments or in The Sistahood Forum!
Carmen & Toni
Favorite this post and add it to your Bookmarks!
[favorite_button post_id=”” site_id=””][/favorite_button]